THE MAITRI PROJECT
“Maitri” is a Sanskrit word that translates to “Friendliness, Friendship, Benevolence."
Mount Madonna High’s senior class embarked on the school's learning journey in April 2019 to India to meet with leaders, including the Dalai Lama, making positive change in their communities.
On alternating years we travel internationally. On these journeys students conduct interviews with leading world thinkers, and interact with people of whom live in very different economic and cultural circumstances. This offers students new insights and perspectives on how life is lived, and helps them understand the privileges that we as Americans often take for granted. The process of interviewing people in positions of high responsibility and service to society builds confidence, helps students imagine a wider range of possibilities for what they can do with their lives. It also develops skills in research, language, and the intuitive process of knowing how to engage respectfully through asking questions.
India Journey Videos
Values Program India News
- Class of 2019: Valedictorians, Salutatorian and Seniors’ College Choices
- Santa Cruz Sentinel: Photo Gallery, Mount Madonna School Students Sit with the Dalai Lama
- Students Reflect on Values, Ethics and What is Meaningful and Relevant
- Seniors Say “Thank You” as Community Turns Out to Support Maitri Fundraiser Dinner
- Chocolate Mousse and Kitchen Organization: Guest Chef Shares Culinary Advice as Seniors Prepare for March 9 Maitri Fundraiser Dinner